[c-nsp] Cat 3750 StackMaster Selection considerations

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Oct 1 17:36:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 21:30 +0200, Jeffrey Denton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM, <pashtuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At the moment I dont see much benefit in setting a Stack Master, only
> > added complexity.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> It's not complex.  The only annoying part is having to reload the
> switches that are renumbered.  As to why, the big reason is
> troubleshooting 6 months or more down the line.  Gi1/0/1 does to the
> first port on the patch panel, etc.  Instead of later trying to figure
> out which one is the master, what order the switches are numbered for
> each stack, and where a certain port is physically located on the
> stack.

Explicitely selecting a master and having sane numbering isn't always
the same. We always try to make sure that switch 1 is the top most,
switch 2 just below et cetera, but we don't care which switch is the
master. We just let the stack decide. Haven't had any problems with that
yet. :-)

Regards,
Peter