[c-nsp] ebgp and ibgp

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 2 03:30:38 EDT 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 07:14:57 Darryl Dunkin wrote:

> IBGP sends the best route to the other IBGP peers, not
> both. Border2 knows about the multiple routes itself, but
> only sends the one best path to Border1.

Just to add, we generally wouldn't prefer such a deployment,
because packets could unpredictably bounce between border
routers before they figure out which is the best path
off-net.

What we do (and if it doesn't cost you extra, I'd recommend
you do) is make sure eBGP routes learned by one border
router aren't learned by another. These eBGP routes should
only be learned by your edge routers, to which your
customers attach. This way, your edge routers (or a route
reflector, if you have one), would install the best path,
and traffic destined toward a particular border router will
surely exit that border router to the Internet.

Cheers,

Mark.