[c-nsp] VRF RD/RT... your preferences?

Christian MacNevin christian.macnevin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:14:09 EDT 2008

For a long time I've preferred unique RDs per VRF per PE. The reason
is that the Route Reflector
operates as a standard BGP router and will make a single best path
decision then propogate
that to all its clients. If there is a single RD per VRF per PE,
however, then the RR stores each of
these as an individual vpnv4 table, and forwards the whole lot to the
clients. With this you're able
to let each PE make its own best path decision and you can play with
anycast (aka 'routing')
in your network. You get faster convergence as the PEs are all aware
of multiple paths and if they
lose an exit point on their own global table (ie a PE goes down) then
they'll have potential backup
routes already there to choose from rather than waiting for BGP to
converge.

As for the RTs, I'd organise those based on your topology. Hub and
spoke and full mesh are the two normal
site-to-site paradigms, but most enterprise networks are (I believe)
using overlaid multiregional hub and spoke
service models which you can control with secondary sets of RTs if you
want to - again - play with
anycast for stuff like DNS redundancy. So anyway, uniqueness isn't as
important, and should be based
on customer/function.

All IMO obviously :)