[c-nsp] problem with serial number on cisco 7200 routers / maintenance contract

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Thu Oct 2 06:06:57 EDT 2008

On 02/10/2008 10:40, Stephan Lochner wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> we have a problem with our 7200 series router. We have a supplier that
> handles our maintenance contracts. We want now to put some more devices into
> maintenance.
> Normally we use the "sh ver" command and get the serial number.
> But the 7200 series router provide a serial number (I assume of the
> mainboard) but this is not that one printed on the back of the router.
> Our problem is now that our maintenance supplier is not able to take the
> devices into maintenance with this serial.
> Is there another way to read the serial number from remote?

Is this a new device?

I have seen problems in the past where it seemed manufacturing were not
updating serial numbers back to Cisco to load into the maintenance apps.

When I tried to register a Smartnet directly it would deny the serial
number existed.
This was for a 7200 in a remote pop, and even getting remote hands to
read everything printed on the chassis didn't help, it was the same number.
Eventually the serial number "just worked", we had it escalated to
Smartnet support (ie support for Smartnet, not TAC)

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison and nPlusOne.
presence of viruses.  Lumison and nPlusOne accept no liability for any