[c-nsp] ACL vs IP verify unicast: TCAM entries

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 12:15:47 EDT 2008

> What is the mechanism employed by "ip verify unicast"? Does it create
> on-the-fly an ACL for each
> interface that it is applied to containg in my case just one entry that
> matches the network address
> of the interface? In this case in a typical BRAS terminating 16000 users
> would require 16000 dynamically
> created unique ACLs (or policy-lists in the ERX).

I do not think it works like that on Cisco kit.

I think it basically does this:

  output_interfaces = cef_lookup(src)
  if input_interface in output_interface:
    forward
  else
    drop

...that is, each packet effectively has 2 route lookups; one on the
source IP to check the packet has come in on a valid interface, then a
2nd on the destination IP to actually forward the packet.

I have no idea what the ERX does - best ask on a Juniper list.

I would recommend using uRPF unless you have a compelling reason not to.