[c-nsp] BGP route flap damping

Pelle perc69 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 06:58:59 EDT 2008

Hi.

I don't have an answer to your question, but a thought about dampening.

> In theory, it's supposed to work, but thought it might be better to
> ask for advice and things to watch out for before deploying in the
> real world.

BGP dampening is no longer regarded as "a good thing", but something
to turn off. In fact the Cisco BCP is to disable dampening.

Here are some arguments against dampening:

* Today's routers' performance can easily cope with route flaps.
* RFD implementations may differ in RFD parameter values. This
inconsistency may result in inconsistent path selection.
* Modality of route advertisement may differ. Some implementations
pass on the update without waiting at all, others wait for 30 seconds,
etc. This will likely result in a different best-path offering to
neighbors as message updates arrive.

--
Pelle