[c-nsp] BGP route flap damping

Joe Provo jzp-cnsp at rsuc.gweep.net
Tue Oct 7 07:53:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:58:59PM +0200, Pelle wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I don't have an answer to your question, but a thought about dampening.
>
> > In theory, it's supposed to work, but thought it might be better to
> > ask for advice and things to watch out for before deploying in the
> > real world.
>
> BGP dampening is no longer regarded as "a good thing", but something
> to turn off. In fact the Cisco BCP is to disable dampening.

...precisely because the implementation dampens *all* paths for a
prefix, not just the flapping path.  Given an implementation which
dampens just the flapping path[s] for a prefix, then the originally-
intended result would occur and only penalize the misbehaving paths.
The other concerns pale in comparison, and would easily be mitigated
in the case of corrected implementations.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE