[c-nsp] CoPP Hardware Counters on RSP720/7600

Ivan Gasparik ivan at ig.sk
Tue Oct 7 09:43:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been facing the same issue these days too, the result is very
simple and sad:
CoPP can't handle broadcast and multicast traffic in hardware
More detailed explanation is here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/dos.html#wp1141802

I'm still trying to configure some kind of protection of router's CPU
against broadcast storms. The most aggressive traffic hitting the CPU
during broadcast storm are OSPF and HSRP multicast packets in my
case. Policing through mls qos protocol police is not usable because
it cannot distinguish between good ospf packets coming from routed
interfaces and bad ospf packets from SVI's multiplied by storm.
It looks I will have to do combine storm-control applied on the
physical layer 2 interface and then make a smarter policing using
CoPP on control-plane for the rest of traffic that got through the
storm-control. Even thought CoPP will do that in software, my
SUP720's can handle almost 100k pps, which could be quite enough.

Ivan