[c-nsp] Maximum number of OSPF instances in a VRF-lite environment

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 8 02:22:06 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 11:40:53 McLean Pickett wrote:

> Are there any Cisco guidelines or does anyone have any
> hands-on experience with the maximum number of VRF's\OSPF
> instances in a VRF-lite deployment?

At the time I first read about l3vpn's (a couple of years
back), Cisco said the RDB (Routing Descriptor Block)
supported only 32 instances (including the defaults, i.e.,
Static, Connected and IGP).

But I should say that this was a fairly old IOS at the time
(and different/older platform too), plus we never did quite
have OSPF-based VRF's, so I can't claim with full certainty
that this holds true today.

Cheers,

Mark.