[c-nsp] Maximum number of OSPF instances in a VRF-lite environment

McLean Pickett mcpick at us.net
Tue Oct 7 23:40:53 EDT 2008

Hello -

I am working on a large campus design and I am on the fence between using a
VRF-lite implementation (802.1q trunks carrying ospf instances between
devices) and an MPLS VPN deployment.

If I only have a few VRF's then the VRF-lite implementation wouldn't be too
overbearing and would require much less training for the support staff.
However if the number of VRF's where to greatly increase then it seems like
a full blown MPLS network is the better solution.

Are there any Cisco guidelines or does anyone have any hands-on experience
with the maximum number of VRF's\OSPF instances in a VRF-lite deployment?

I am dealing with Sup720-3B's, RFC1918 address space and default routes.
None of the routing tables will be carrying Internet routes.

Thanks,

McLean