[c-nsp] Converting OSPF backbone to iBGP

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Mon Oct 13 15:49:29 EDT 2008

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:02:56AM +0200, Garry wrote:
>
>> But if I do that, I have all the routes it announces back in the
>> Backbone OSPF which I want to only carry the infrastructure IPs ... I've
>> already attempted to set up a second OSPF process in order to keep the
>> routes learned from one box out of the backbone area, but somehow I must
>> be missing something essential, as the router belonging to multiple
>> areas keeps mixing them together ...
>>
> Well, that's the canonical way to do it - run two separate OSPF
> processes, one for "router1 <-> router2 -> BGP" and the other one for
> "router2 <-> backbone".  And make sure that the active interfaces don't
> overlap.

Hm ... not sure what I did when I set up my last lab - when I did,
routes received through one OSPF process were redistributed through the
other process ... when I recreated the setup (two CE connected to a PE,
which is connected to a P router), redistribution stopped at PE, as I
had originally expected ...

So, in essence, I run a separate OSPF process per Interface (with
"default-information originate" towards the CE router), each with its
own area, then move all the customer routes into BGP via appropriate
network commands ...

> I currently have no setup where I can verify that it does work, but I
> remember that I did this some time ago, and it did seem to do the right
> thing.

GNS3/Dynamips really does make Labs a lot easier to set up ;) From what
I can tell, my original idea and understanding of doing this works after
all ... too bad the files that I had tried it with originally have been
cleaned up due to temp directory ... :(

Tnx, -garry