[c-nsp] Best practice for lowest convergence time when rebooting router

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Oct 13 23:15:38 EDT 2008

Jay Nakamura wrote:
> Quick question,
>
> Does anyone do anything special before rebooting/shutting down a core or
> border router so routes on other routers converge faster around the rebooted
> router?  I was thinking if it would be better if I heavily BGP prepend to
> upstream first so bordering peer router will still route to me until the
> better route from the other upstream propagated to that peer.  What about
> OSPF inside our network?  Putting the interfaces in passive mode first?

On our "edge" routers (nodes that handle upstream connectivity), we have
pre-made route maps for each provider in multiple forms: normal, "high
med", and maintenance.  We switch out the route maps ahead of provider
maintenance or internal operations, and restore when we feel comfortable
that the work is complete and stable.  Do note that for most transit
connections, prepends aren't sufficient to push inbound traffic off the
link; you'll normally need to signal peer-level or peer-backup local
preference with communities.

On our "core" routers (nodes that interconnect POPs as well as edge and
distribution routers within the POPs), we do "max-metric router-lsa"
within OSPF to push traffic off the affected node before
maintenance/reboot.  Once complete, we return to "max-metric router-lsa
on-startup 900", so that the router won't take transitory traffic
(unless necessary) for 15 minutes after a reboot, providing an
opportunity to assess conditions.  For reloads, we schedule the reload,
then change the config to the simple form of "max-metric router-lsa" but
don't re-save the config.  This way, the router returns to service
unattended.

pt