[c-nsp] 6500 and MPLS

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Oct 14 17:02:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 22:37 +0200, Christoph Loibl wrote:
> When I configure something like this on a sup720-3bxl (with only LAN
> interfaces like WS-6704-10GE or WS-6724-xx facing the MPLS-Core + some
> variant of SXFxx software running):
>
> vlan 23
>
> int vlan 23
>   xconnect 1.2.3.4 5 enc mpls
>
> This pops up in my log:
>
> Oct 14 20:25:18 UTC: %C6K_MPLS_COMMON-3-L3_CONFIG_NOT_RECOMMENDED: LAN
> interfaces have MPLS configured. Do not configure xconnect on
> interface vlans.

This would be SVI mode "EoMPLS", where one would expect local switching.
Remember that "interface Vlan1005" isn't the same as "vlan 1005". It
would be VERY nice if the PFC3 could do this, but unfortunately it
can't. You need more expensive equipment for that. :-)

> I actually did not try whether it still works or not. But at least it
> makes me worry... Is this what you meant by Vlan mode EoMPLS or did
> you mean the subinterface thingy (which definitely works)?
>
> int gi2/10.23
>    enc dot1q 23
>    xconnect 1.2.3.4 5 enc mpls

This is VLAN mode EoMPLS. The PFC3 supports this and (physical) port
mode.

Regards,
Peter