[c-nsp] 7206VXR and CBWFQ

Victor Cappuccio vcappuccio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 12:52:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

Subinterfaces and software interfaces do not have their own separate
transmit (Tx) ring; therefore, no congestion can occur. These interface
types include dialers, tunnels, and Frame Relay subinterfaces, and will only
congest when their main hardware interface Tx ring congests. The Tx ring
state is an indication of congestion for software interfaces.

*
*router(config)# interface Serial0/0.1
router(config-subif)# service-policy output test
 CBWFQ : Not supported on subinterfaces

*
*1.- Create a child or lower-level policy that configures a queueing
mechanism. In the example below, we configure LLQ using the priority command
and CBWFQ using the bandwidth command. Refer to Congestion Management
Overview for more information.

          policy-map child
           class voice
            priority 512

2. Create a parent or top-level policy that applies class-based shaping.
Apply the child policy as a command under the parent policy since the
admission control for the child class is done based on the shaping rate for
the parent class.

          policy-map parent
           class class-default
            shape average 2000000
            service-policy child

3. Apply the parent policy to the subinterface.

          interface Serial0/0.1
           service-policy parent

*Cisco Page: http://tinyurl.com/ytt8ge

**Note: *Class-based shaping works at the interface and subinterface level.
Cisco IOS 12.2(2.5) introduces the ability to configure shaping on the main
interface and IP addresses on the subinterfaces.

thanks,

Victor Cappuccio
CCIE R/S# 20657
CCSI# 30452