[c-nsp] Network Management System

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 12:11:58 EDT 2008

Mario Spinthiras wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that people still use nagios or cacti. I
> can't even begin to tell you how superior Zenoss is compared to what
> is out there today.

I've used Nagios and Cacti to good effect, although I will freely admit
the biggest problem (and that of many NMSes) is the lack of a single,
central, extensible CMDB (or inventory database, or simply a list of
'stuff you have').

At $JOB-1, I wrote my own CMDB which I believe is still in use.  Sure,
you can use Rancid to back up your configs - I wrote my own tool - but
it all comes back to a central database of 'stuff you have'.

I've yet to see a really, really good off-the-shelf CMDB.

Peter