[c-nsp] 3750 stack vs 4507R-E?

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Oct 24 20:24:14 EDT 2008

Hello Chris:

On 10/23/08 3:50 PM, "Chris Gauthier" <chris at k7sle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's where part of my difficulty lies. Our SAN traffic is going to be
> increasing over time, currently using 4 individual 1GB Copper links, not
> including the 2x1GB links each server requires. Additionally, we have VoIP
> phones to consider (ShoreTel) and lots of SMB/HTTP/SQL traffic. Since I work
> in more of a financial-type organization, multimedia is not really a priority
> at this time. We also are going "paperless" by using a SQL-based document
> imaging/management system. Finally, we have a few (<12) office workstations
> and a printer for the IT Staff in the Data Center.
>
> So, I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question and Cisco has a dizzying
> array of switches for a multitude of purposes. Choosing the right one is very
> difficult. I hope this information helps.

I would really recommend getting in touch with someone working in sales in
the Data Center group in Cisco (that's not the exact name, but it's close).
They have some newer stuff coming out now that might be a perfect fit for
you with the SAN and other traffic.

I know talking to the sales folks can be painful, but they do have an eye
into the new stuff and will bring forces to bear from an engineering
perspective to help you get it right.  Granted, they will also sell you 1.5
times what you need, but you can always scale down whatever they recommend.
:-)

Regards,

Mike