[c-nsp] Monitoring tools for MPLS VPN customers

Ben Steele ben.steele at internode.on.net
Fri Oct 31 02:06:30 EDT 2008

You definitely want a "Management vrf" that you leak into all your customer
vrf's, from this you can use something like nagios or whatever your tool of
choice is to alert to downed nodes, just remember not to overlap your CPE IP
addressing even though they are in separate vrf's.

As far as voip monitoring goes you can use ip sla on your routers to monitor
jitter/loss/delay etc..

Check out -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/tk920/technologies_white
_paper0900aecd8017531d.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/tk920/technologies_white
_paper0900aecd801752ec.html

For ideas on what ip sla can do for you, there are plenty of configuration
examples around to look at too.

Ben