[c-nsp] Interdomain Multicast Routing

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Sep 1 12:11:41 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:45:06AM -0400, Mike Louis wrote:
> Do most sp these days support mc in their networks for customers?

Do you know *any* SPs these days that support multicast?

Yes, there are a few that have it still turned on, but does that mean
it's a first grade, fully supported, product?

We disabled external multicasting in our SP network last week - because
there was only minimal customer demand in the last 6 or 7 years, and
on those few occasions, I usually spent ages diagnosing black hole
issues at one of our upstreams (turned up a new line, forgot to enable
PIM on it, and such things).

IPv4 multicast is extremely painful to debug.  The whole MSDP/MBGP/PIM
model is too complicated to maintain and too brittle for stable operations
(SSM might be better - we never tried).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de