[c-nsp] silly qos question

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu Sep 4 07:55:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, September 4, 2008 12:42 pm, Mike Louis wrote:
> I usually set the max reserve command to 95 percent to leave room for
> routing and other overhead. That way I don't have to specify a specific
> class to take care of it if I reserve akll remaining bw in the pm

Be careful, this *doesn't* guarantee that remaining 5% is reserved for
management / routing, unless you explicitly police all the other classes.
It stops you *reserving* it for other classes, but it doesn't stop those
other classes *using* it.

Much safer, IMO, to put a class (or classes) in for management / routing,
and then let the bandwidth reserved for these go back into the pool while
it's not being used.

Regards,
Tim.