[c-nsp] can cisco pix "boomerang" mail traffic?

Rogelio scubacuda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:03:39 EDT 2008

Can a Cisco PIX "boomerang" a packet--i.e. route a packet coming from
the internal network that is destined for an Internet host back into
the internal network via NAT?

I ask because I have have email clients pointing to mail.domain.com, and
unless I do a split DNS with my mail A record pointing to a 192 address
inside and an external mail A record pointing to my public IP address,
I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Users using Microsoft Outlook + Exchange don't have a problem getting
their email.  But users using other email clients (Thunderbird, Outlook
Express, etc) obviously cannot resolve the host name if they are on the
wrong side of the network.  Thunderbird has different identities for
each email account, but that's too much work for some of the users.