[c-nsp] IPv6 Subnetting - Service Provider

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 17:29:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

> yet. There's an RFC or something out there (too lazy to look it up) that
> says use /64 for subnets, so it's the magic number for a lot of IPv6
> implementations.

my initial (and, i guess, current) IPv6 deployment plan
was based on /64 subnets.  yes, thats a ridiculous amount
of hosts per subnet...nasty software coded in 'the old style'
might make these very big collision domains and i do worry about
how ISC DHCPv6 will handle such large numbers of leases -
recalling how it deals with /16's in IPv4 land.

however, for router likn-link, non IP-based routing protocols
- as mentioned IS-IS or OSPFv3 on the link-layer avoids the
legacy issue (and wasting /64's for such trivialities)

alan