[c-nsp] IPv6 Subnetting - Service Provider

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Sep 12 00:16:02 EDT 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 05:29:55 A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
wrote:

> my initial (and, i guess, current) IPv6 deployment plan
> was based on /64 subnets.  yes, thats a ridiculous amount
> of hosts per subnet...nasty software coded in 'the old
> style' might make these very big collision domains and i
> do worry about how ISC DHCPv6 will handle such large
> numbers of leases - recalling how it deals with /16's in
> IPv4 land.

As has been mentioned by some others on the list, we use:

* /112 - for subnets
* /126 - for point-to-points
* /128 - for Loopbacks.

We don't believe in using /64's for point-to-points, as some
of the peering/transit we do on v6 has shown (the other
party's assignment) - I simply fail to understand how many
other hosts you could possibly have on a point-to-point
link, between 2 routers, to warrant a /64.

We are not big on /64's ability for autoconf, like someone
else has mentioned. There's a certain satisfaction to be
had when I go to bed knowing that the v6 address I coded
onto the router/server interface will still be the same one
when I wake up the following day.

Cheers,

Mark.