[c-nsp] ME3750 Shaping

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Sep 12 15:29:54 EDT 2008

> From: Arie Vayner (avayner) [mailto:avayner at cisco.com]
>
> Eric,
>
> This should be possible.
> Take a look here:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/re
> lease/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html
>
> Arie

Hi Arie,
Thanks for the response.  I've read this a bunch of times and it seems to me that the proper (and possibly only?) way to do egress shaping is by using the 'srr-queue bandwidth shape' command, which gives you options to set different weights for the queues.  The formula for the weights indicates that the weight is a fractional number of the total amount of bandwidth for the port.  For a 100M port, a weight of 8 would equal 12.5 percent, or 12.5Mb/s.  So, using that formula, if I want to get 50Mb/s shaping on a queue, I use 2 as the number.  What about 75Mb/s, or even something else between 50M and 99M?  I can't use a floating point, so it looks like I'm pretty much stuck at 1/2 of the bandwidth of the port.

Or am I misunderstanding the srr-queue settings entirely (which could certainly be the case)?

Thanks,
evt