[c-nsp] NTP not synchronizing

Velasquez Venegas Jaime Omar Jaime at ulima.edu.pe
Sat Sep 13 14:30:04 EDT 2008

Hi there.

I'm having a problem trying to synchronize a Cisco Router across a wan
link with a NTP Server (No-Cisco router).So far i've ruled out packet
filering or firewall blocking as a cause of this.Some other equipments
at the local side of this router actually synchronize with the ntp
server at our LAN.What strikes me is the fact that router does reach ntp
server via other protocols other than ntp tough.

This is what i get from the out-of-sync router:
#Show ntp assoc
     address         ref clock     st  when  poll reach  delay  offset
disp
~<<NTPServer>>    0.0.0.0          16     -    64    0     0.0    0.00
16000.
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured

I've set debugging for the ntp packets and for all the traffic getting
out of the serial interface which got "NTP: xmit packet to NTP.Server"
events.However there 's absolutely no attempt whatsoever of packet being
transmitted to NTP Server at the serial interface.
I've also configured this router as a ntp master and tried to get the
hosts on its local ethernet to synchronize with it to no avail.

Any insight?

Thanks