[c-nsp] ME3750 Shaping

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Sep 17 06:41:27 EDT 2008

Yes, very frustrating.  Other vendors seem to be able to support full functionality on all ports, so I'm not sure why Cisco continues to rely on either outdated technology or bad BU decisions to cripple boxes.  I'm pretty sure that it's the hardware that's the problem, though.

> When I've hit this situation I've ended up using multiple ME3750s but
> this isn't
> really scalable beyond 2 units. 7600+OSM or 7600+SIP400+GE SPA's are
> just (for our
> application) too expensive. ASR might be a viable option depending on
> required
> throughput.

7600/ME4900/ME6500/ASR - None are either very cost effective or are simply too big and use too much power for what we are doing.  We don't really have an upgrade to 10/100/1000 on this switch anyway, so that's also going to play a big role in our decision.

-evt