[c-nsp] IS-IS for IPv6: Passive Loopback Interface Address Not Propagated

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 17 21:43:52 EDT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 00:22:58 David Freedman wrote:

> Yes, I came across this on an upgrade from SB to SRC1 on
> 7200 didn't work until I configured "ipv6 enable" and
> "ipv6 router isis" on the loopback and then I was able to
> backtrack and do "passive int lo0" in is-is to make it
> passive again,

Right, because, in IOS, explicitly enabling IS-IS processing
on an interface configured as passive under IS-IS
effectively disables the passive-ness of said interface.

Actually, TAC managed to locate a bug ID for this issue:
CSCsm64643 (IPv6 passive interface address not in the isis
database).

Thing is, this was first discovered in SRC on the RSP720,
but fixed in SRC1. I suspect the fix was made and tested on
the RSP720, and not the 7200, as TAC have received other
reports from customers running SRC1 about this issue on the
7200's.

If TAC do confirm it's a bug, unlikely a fix will make it
into SRC2. We'd be looking at SRC3 - so workarounds until
then.

Mark.