[c-nsp] PA-POS-1OC3 vs. PA-A3-OC3SMI

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 19 09:31:23 EDT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 14:43:19 David Aldworth wrote:
> We are looking for a fully channelized OC3 interface for a Cisco 7200
> VXR. Something that we can break individual T1's off of. In
> researching this there are two routes: PA-POS-1OC3 or PA-A3-OC3SMI.
> The first is SONET and the second is ATM.

Neither are channelized, as you've already found out.

You could, however, pop something like a Fujitsu FLM-150 (can be had used
inexpensively) and use the channelized DS-3 cards in the 7200 to connect to
DS-3's that the FLM-150 (or other vendor's equivalent) would mux into an
OC-3.  The nice thing there is the FLM-150 and its brethren have great optics
selections and full APS capability.

Channelized OC-3's are available for 12000 series; lots of rack space, but a
12008 or 12012 can be had inexpensively, or you can get the smaller ones from
Cisco.  Depends on how much touchy-feely your router needs to do on the
packets; 12000's are very aloof in that regard.
-
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute