[c-nsp] PA-POS-1OC3 vs. PA-A3-OC3SMI

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Fri Sep 19 09:38:58 EDT 2008

At 02:43 PM 9/18/2008, David Aldworth wrote:
>We are looking for a fully channelized OC3 interface for a Cisco 7200
>VXR. Something that we can break individual T1's off of. In
>researching this there are two routes: PA-POS-1OC3 or PA-A3-OC3SMI.
>The first is SONET and the second is ATM.
>
>Other than price what is the difference? Which is needed?

The easiest and most cost effective option for a 7200 series is an
Adtran Opti-3 OC3-DS3 mux. It is available with one controller card
(unprotected) or two (protected) and will give you three DS3s via BNC
connectors on the back. It is -48VDC power, but you can buy two
little 1A -48VDC power supplies from Adtran if you don't have -48VDC
at your POP. The box is 1U and they are rock solid reliable and can
be found new for $3k to $4k. You will also need PA-MC-T3 or PA-MC-2T3
cards to break down the DS3s into T1s. We use this solution all over
the US and it works great.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin