[c-nsp] Cisco 10720 Router?

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Mon Sep 22 15:44:44 EDT 2008

We have several hundred and are quite happy. Pre-7201/ASR it was about the
only option for a cost effective 4 gig box for proper Hqos.

You're right though its 12.0S based and cant be far from EOL now (The ASR
1002 is the natural successor.). Dont expect to use it like a 7200 with
every feature under the sun but if you need Ethernet, routing, QOS and maybe
a few acls its great.

Typical use for us is as Customer router for high bandwidth MPLS solutions
(100Mbs to 750+) delivered on Gig. Route tables of 50K (large enterprise)
rather than a full internet table. It only does sampled netflow which may or
may not be an issue for you.

Dean