[c-nsp] Converting OSPF backbone to iBGP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 24 04:19:29 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 15:52:13 Garry wrote:

> after years of running very smoothly and without any
> problems (and not expecting any), we have decided to move
> our backbone from OSPF (single area) to iBGP as far as
> "best practice" recommendations go ...

This is, indeed, a best practice as far as scaling the
autonomous system goes.

> I've been trying
> to find decent write-ups about certain things, but
> haven't been too successful as far as certain details go
> ... maybe somebody has some good pointers for me ...

Philip Smith (Cisco) has some very good slides on this and
other best practice scaling techniques for ISP's that he
gives at various workshops and conferences.

You can Google to find a lot of these.

> OK, so baseline recommendation is to only transport
> loopback/interface IPs in OSPF, do everything else via
> iBGP ...

Correct.

> Also, we have CPE devices that speak OSPF to our
> equipment in order to set up dual uplinks to customer
> sites ...

As a friend of mine would say, "I recommend my competitors
do that..."

But seriously, running an IGP with your customers isn't a
good idea (unless you're doing l3vpn's). I'd recommend
running eBGP with your customer's CPE, and keep the
OSPF "internal".

Cheers,

Mark.