[c-nsp] Converting OSPF backbone to iBGP

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 05:41:58 EDT 2008

Mark Tinka wrote:
>> I've been trying
>> to find decent write-ups about certain things, but
>> haven't been too successful as far as certain details go
>> ... maybe somebody has some good pointers for me ...
>>

> Philip Smith (Cisco) has some very good slides on this and
> other best practice scaling techniques for ISP's that he
> gives at various workshops and conferences.

I'll see what I can find ...
>> Also, we have CPE devices that speak OSPF to our
>> equipment in order to set up dual uplinks to customer
>> sites ...
>>

> As a friend of mine would say, "I recommend my competitors
> do that..."
>
> But seriously, running an IGP with your customers isn't a
> good idea (unless you're doing l3vpn's). I'd recommend
> running eBGP with your customer's CPE, and keep the
> OSPF "internal".

Problem is that those links use xDSL equipment  like Telindus that don't
necessarily speak BGP ... so OSPF is the only dynamic routing protocol I
can use (well, unless you'd consider using RIP) ... guess I could still
use some ip sla tracking mechanism to create "dynamic" static routes
dependent on the availability of the remote router ... that way I'd have
a route I can source in iBGP ...

-gg