[c-nsp] Extremely slow performing show running-config

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Tue Sep 30 10:24:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:13:46PM +0100, David Freedman wrote:
> Well, do you have a lot of VLANs configured?

Yea - on the order of a thousand, with SVIs and the whole nine yards.
The config is over 500kiB.

> Since vlan config is now done through the running-config as well,
> I'm imagining NVGEN has to parse the vlan.dat as well , if it is big I
> would imagine this adding to the NVGEN running time.

We use VTP transparent mode so VLAN management can happen via the
config - I'm not sure if that will tend to make this problem bad or
worse.

I'll probably just try the 12.2SXF version of the parser cache command
in the lab today and see how it goes.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us