[c-nsp] Transparent LAN over Layer3

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Sep 30 19:52:02 EDT 2008

Hi there.

We've had a few customer requests recently for TLS (transparent LAN service)
at some of our sites where we are connected via routers.  Without changing
out half our network infrastructure in these areas to accommodate, I'm
looking for a way to utilize Cisco 1800,2800,3800 series boxes to offer TLS.

L2tpv3 is what keeps coming to mind but I'm still researching this and going
to lab test. is this the best solution?

One customer wants three "VLAN's" from their location to another city where
we have a POP - another customer wants to take all their branches locations
and have it as all one flat network.  both of these particular customer
locations we have Cisco 2821's today for example..

Obviously MPLS comes to mind for some of this but that's not feasible today
- hopefully in future..

Thanks for any input.

Paul