[c-nsp] Emulating the L2 aspect of VPLS with VRF-lite

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Apr 3 17:11:40 EDT 2009

Sorry for the length.  I have another Friday mind-bender.

We're going into an agreement with a new customer to replace their
existing shared radio infrastructure with several bonded PtP DS1s at a
number of sites and a DS3 at a main site.  The owner of the radios
infrastructure currently places the WAN-facing interface of all of this
customer's routers into a common VLAN (ie all WAN-facing routers have a
connected route to a like interface on all other WAN routers).  The
customer currently establishes IPSec-protected GRE tunnels from each
router to every other router using the connected interfaces.  Then they
run EIGRP over top of the GRE tunnels.  The radio links emulate the L2
aspect of VPLS or an E-LAN service with that simple little VLAN.

I'm trying to do something similar with completely different hardware.
I can't reach any of these sites with VLAN-capable hardware yet.  Most
of the sites are getting several bonded DS1s.  One main site is getting
a DS3 over Overture (Ethernet bridged over the DS3 and handed off as
Ethernet on both ends; the 7206 gets it as a sub-int on a GigE port).
My initial thought was to put each of the customer's MLPPP interfaces as
well as the GigE sub-int for the Ethernet site into a VRF.  Each
separate interface would be a /30 and I'd be a routed hop in the middle
inside of their VRF (everything comes back ultimately to a single 7200).
  They could tunnel across me if they wanted with a few additional
statics to populate the RIB with next-hop information of the other
routers.  I'm confident that this would work however I think there may
be a better way that minimizes our potential involvement in the middle.
  Thinking about it a bit more I decided that I could provide a L2
service by making each of the MLPPP interfaces and the GigE sub-int
unnumbered up to a common loopback.  Each customer WAN-facing interface
would be addressed from a common subnet.  They should then also be able
to directly communicate with one another across the loopback and
establish routing adjacencies and/or build GRE tunnels with the hosts in
that common connected route.

That's where I'm at right now.  I have 2 test routers with a DS1 bundle
on each back to the 7200.  Each bundle is in the customer VRF.  I have
another router doing Ethernet into a 4948 access switchport.  That
unique VLAN gets trunked up to the 7200 on an on-board GigE interface.
The corresponding sub-int on the 7200 is in the customer VRF and is
unnumbered back to the dedicated customer loopback.  The only error I
got in the process was when I did the unnumbered on the sub-int.

003018: Apr  3 13:15:29 CDT: %OSPF-4-NO_IPADDRESS_ON_INT: No IP address
for interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1001

That's just OSPF whining and shouldn't be a problem.  I set up OSPF on
all WAN-facing interfaces on the CE lab routers.  For grins I also set
up OSPF inside the VRF on the PE.  I can ping between the DS1 routers
and the 7200.  However I can not ping the Ethernet CE router from
anywhere.  I also can not establish OSPF adjacencies between any of the
CEs or the PE.  Debugging the OSPF packets I see packets going out from
the CEs but nothing coming in.  From the PE I see nothing at all.

Should this ip unnumbered design work?  Any idea what's dropping the
OSPF packets along the way?

I'm working on the problem while typing this and I have an update on
what I wrote above.  I now have OSPF adjacencies between the DS1 CPEs
and the 7200.  It turns out I needed to put the MLPPP interface into the
VRF as well even though the ip unnumbered interface as in the VRF
already.  However this points out a problem.  I am unable to establish
an adjacency between the DS1 CPEs.  The CPEs only claim to see OSPF
packets from the 7200.  Is that normal?  I also just noticed that I can
no longer ping between DS1 CPEs.  I'm not sure if this isn't being
consistent or I should call it a day.

I should be able to do the VRF with the L3 hop in the middle if nothing
else.  I'd rather that be my fall-back position though.  Any other
suggestions on how to accomplish this would be much appreciated.  I'm
sure there are other ways to do something similar.

Thanks
  Justin