[c-nsp] Emulating the L2 aspect of VPLS with VRF-lite

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Apr 6 09:12:14 EDT 2009

>  Thinking about it a bit more I decided that I could provide a L2
> service by making each of the MLPPP interfaces and the GigE sub-int
> unnumbered up to a common loopback.  Each customer WAN-facing interface
> would be addressed from a common subnet.  They should then also be able
> to directly communicate with one another across the loopback and
> establish routing adjacencies and/or build GRE tunnels with the hosts in
> that common connected route.

Not quite sure how next-hop address resolution would work here, if you
expend the subnet masks such that all devices exist on the same subnet,
you will need some kind of address resolution to work, for instance, the
CPE on the DS1s will need to have a connected route to the subnet, the
7200 will have to have static routes (or IPCP learnt) to each endpoint
on the DS1s and also some kind of ARP for the HQ site.

I would personally go for the L3 (VRF) solution as it is simplest to
manage and troubleshoot, I would imagine it has about the same overhead
on the router as any L2 solution you could come up with using this 7200,

If you really want to do L2, consider bridging (IRB, but v.cpu
intensive) or l2connect with interworking between the MLPPP bundles and
sub-sub interfaces of the GigE, (I would imagine you can do QinQ on this
right?) if not consider dropping the Ethernet component and going for a
straight DS3 with frame PVCs.

This design of course requires that all traffic passes through the HQ site.

Dave.