[c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

Jason Gintert jason at fidelityaccess.com
Wed Apr 8 10:11:57 EDT 2009

I would go with Ethernet services just for the sheer flexibility.  With
regard to your concerns of monitoring link state, you can use Ethernet
demarcation devices such as the ISG 2X series from Overture to solve that.
Think of it as an Ethernet "Smart Jack".  It provides some pretty neat
testing capabilities (looping, layer 2 ping, etc) and can do things like
fault propagation per EVC.  This means you can have a heartbeat across a
VLAN (you'll need Ethernet Demarcation devices on either side) so if the
heartbeat between devices is lost on the network side it can drop interface
state to your equipment facing ports.  Lastly, there are some great SLA
tools to verify your provider is giving you the service that you are paying
for.  I recommend them highly.

http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/name/ISG2x.html

Jason