[c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Apr 8 12:58:49 EDT 2009

I've found that some carriers consider Ethernet something of a "toy"
whereas TDM and SONET circuits are considered more "mission critical".
Basically our local engineering gusy say that the Ethernet links are
just a "bunch of jumpers in COs", and by that they mean a single link
patched through to where it needs to go with no protection or management
anywhere. The T3 links, while not always path diverse, are typically at
least provisioned as 4 fiber handoffs within the carrier's network so
you at least have some protection against a dead optic. This seems to be
especially an issue for intercity links since the T3s are typically
protected around a ring between the cities and the Ethernet rarely, if
ever, is protected at all. This is just the ILEC (ATT here) though, most
of the CLECs offer protection options for their Ethernet offerings.

Personally I've been burned before with carriers not provisioning
circuits as "protected" as one would expect (which includes TDM/SONET
links). I try to keep all our core links on our own fiber where we
control the physical routing and protection, but we have a few remote
POPs that are not economical to build fiber to and those are the ones
with the leased links. I'm not a big fan of Ethernet for the links to
these POPs, but the Ethernet links we use from our gear to the customer
premises do tend to work OK.

Regarding monitoring, use a routing protocol that has keepalives to
detect an outage. If you are using a switch you can probably determine
link state on the circuit too (although this probably won't give you an
indication of end-to-end circuit status since the carrier probably has a
switch serving you that will give you a link regardless of the "rest" of
the circuit working).

   -Bill

> One of my carriers has given me a choice for a new circuit delivery:
T3