[c-nsp] etherchannel load-balancing on "4 Port ISE Gigabit Ethernet"?

Jan Sandmaier sandmaier at schlund.net
Thu Apr 9 07:31:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

does anybody know how load-balancing in an etherchannel works on a "4
Port ISE Gigabit Ethernet" for Cisco 12000 in detail?

I have the following problem: I configured an etherchannel consisting of
two GigabitEthernet ports on the same linecard. Only one port is
utilized (see show command below). There is no inbound traffic and the
outbound traffic originates from various prefixes to basically 3 prefixes.

I have a cisco 12010/PRP with IOS 12.0(31)S6.

sh interfaces port-channel 1 load

     ID                 bits/sec     pack/sec
 ----------           ------------  ----------
    PortCh1  Tx          149655000      24926
             Rx                  0          0

   Members       (%)    bits/sec     pack/sec
 ----------      ---  ------------  ----------
      Gi1/0  Tx   99     149643000      24919
             Rx   54             0          0
      Gi1/1  Tx    1         11000          8
             Rx   46             0          0

The configuration is:

interface Port-channel1
 bandwidth 2000000
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
 ip access-group 188 in
 ip access-group 189 out
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip route-cache flow sampled
 load-interval 30
 channel-group minimum active 1
 no channel-group bandwidth control-propagation

interface GigabitEthernet1/0
 no negotiation auto
 channel-group 1
 no cdp enable
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 negotiation auto
 channel-group 1
 no cdp enable

Is there a fundamental problem with this scenario?

Thanks,
Jan