[c-nsp] Verizon's PIP service

James Michael Keller jmkeller at houseofzen.org
Mon Apr 13 11:25:16 EDT 2009

Verizon's PIP (as of a few years ago, been a while since I left) was
using a dedicated backbone and POPs (Inherited from the MCI merger) for
the PIP service.   One of the downsides was there where limited POPs
compared to the access network offerings.

Customer connections are just access lines into the POPs.   The local
loops will ride the local carrier into the local POP, this often caused
fairly long back-haul connections if there wasn't a POP close enough.
Especially if customers where running diverse POP connections into sites
for redundancy.

So unless they have had to bring on third party POP sites, after the
local loop it will be all Verizon controlled.    You would need to
confirm the current configuration with your sales team, but I haven't
had to terminate into anything other then a Verizon owned POP in the US
or Western Europe yet.

--
James Michael Keller