[c-nsp] GSR OC3 Eng0 to Eng3

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Apr 14 10:54:06 EDT 2009

List,

We're seeing some odd issues on a transport OC3c between two POPs.  We
had a variety of failures at the Z end with two different Engine 0 4xOC3
cards, so we swapped out to an Engine 3 4xOC3 card.  We're now seeing
randomly-timed OSPF issues, as well as LOTS of PSE (positive stuff
events) in the POS controllers.

According to the Cisco troubleshooting docs, the likely causes boil down
to degraded/dirty/too-strong link or clocking issues.  At the Z end,
it's a 10m run from the carrier FTP (with their DDM2000 in the same
rack) to our router.  We started with a back-to-back SC-SC coupler and a
1m SC-LC jumper so we could make the connector transition.  We've
switched it for a properly-connectorized jumper from FTP to card, with
no change.  We've tried multiple ports on the card, no change.  We've
asked the carrier to investigate, since they hand off to another carrier
"in the middle" to get to the A end.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Pete