[c-nsp] GSR OC3 Eng0 to Eng3

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Apr 14 11:32:25 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 10:54:06 Pete Templin wrote:
> Any thoughts on what to look for?

I'm running a 12012 with engine 0 4xOC3c cards here.

The first thing I look for when this sort of things occurs is 'clock source
line' in the configuration.  I have swapped ports around before and forgotten
to change the 'clock source internal' to 'clock source line' for the WAN
OC3's, since I'm also using IR SM OC3's on campus over dark fiber (thus 'clock
source internal' on both ends of those).  This presents itself as random
up/down-down/up events when one or both ends of the WAN OC3 are accidentally
set clock source internal.  Clock source line is supposed to be the default,
incidentally.  I don't have an ISE 4xOC3 LC to try with for the OSPF flapping
issues, sorry.

It's also possible the ADM is sending you a too-hot signal; you can simulate
an attenuator for testing by slightly pulling the SC for the receive out; this
simulates an air-gap attenuator.  If you can get an improvement with a slight
air-gap, it may be too hot from them to you, and you'll need to attenuate.

Have your read
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a008009464b.shtml
(Troubleshooting PSE and NSE Events on POS Interfaces)?  A Positive Stuff Event
indicates a clock slip somewhere. (or the other things you mentioned; seems
you have likely read this already.....)

The most revealing line of this is that the POS LC's themselves do not do any
stuffing, and those path PSE's are being reported by the SONET cloud.  So it
could be the interstital hop clock slipping.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer