[c-nsp] GSR OC3 Eng0 to Eng3

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Apr 14 11:44:41 EDT 2009

Lamar Owen wrote:

> The first thing I look for when this sort of things occurs is 'clock source
> line' in the configuration.

Already checked.

> It's also possible the ADM is sending you a too-hot signal; you can simulate
> an attenuator for testing by slightly pulling the SC for the receive out; this
> simulates an air-gap attenuator.  If you can get an improvement with a slight
> air-gap, it may be too hot from them to you, and you'll need to attenuate.

Is it possible for the signal to be too hot for an Engine 3 card, while
not too hot for an Engine 0 card?  We had none of these OSPF events
before switching cards.  Unfortunately, I wasn't checking for PSE before.

> Have your read
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a008009464b.shtml
> (Troubleshooting PSE and NSE Events on POS Interfaces)?  A Positive Stuff Event
> indicates a clock slip somewhere. (or the other things you mentioned; seems
> you have likely read this already.....)

Yep, read that.

> The most revealing line of this is that the POS LC's themselves do not do any
> stuffing, and those path PSE's are being reported by the SONET cloud.  So it
> could be the interstital hop clock slipping.

My suspicion is the carrier-carrier handoff, though I'm quick to remind
myself that the OSPF problems only showed up when we switched cards.

pt