[c-nsp] carrier router models comparison

Justin C. Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Tue Apr 14 12:18:32 EDT 2009

To chime in a little bit here on the bleeding edge comments - we jumped
on the Nexus 7K pretty early on (shortly after GA), as we would
otherwise have spent about as much investing in new 6500's, our budget
wasn't going to allow for replacing equipment for at least 5 years, and
we were jumping on 10 Gigabit storage/LAN at this site so it had a clear
advantage for us.

NX-OS has got its share of bugs, but the switch has never failed
outright to do its job and it forwards packets as configured for us,
though we were quite aware it was a good idea to keep its initial
deployment pretty simple and we spent a couple months building up the
configuration and testing.

I don't know how much you'd want to throw an ASR9000 into wide-area
deployment immediately, but if you have a need it addresses well, I
don't see why you couldn't get it to work based on my experience with
the other Cisco bleeding edge OS (and probably a little bit of pre-sales
engineering to go over your design).

Of course, the documentation for NX-OS pre-launch was amazingly well
organized. But, different business unit, I guess. I haven't done more
than glance at the XR docs but things seem very similar to NX-OS docs,
which is pretty good compared to the old IOS docs that are scattered
everywhere.

Justin

P.S. This message contains personal comments and should not be
considered an endorsement of the US Federal Government. :)