[c-nsp] Nexus 5K FCoE to FC breakout

David Hughes David at hughes.com.au
Thu Apr 16 04:29:07 EDT 2009

Hi Justin,

On 16/04/2009, at 10:21 AM, Justin C Darby wrote:

> Unless you are using legacy FC devices, hold off on the 5K for this.
> The
> reason I say this is because a new class of storage devices and
> HBA's that
> use 10GbE native are hitting the market. Some vendors are mostly
> there,
> others not at all.

I haven't seen much activity on the native FCoE storage front yet.
Hanging storage directly off a N7K (when there are FCoE linecards for
it) is the perfect solution but that's a way off.  There isn't even
multi-hop support for FCoE yet so doing a "real" FCoE end-to-end
solution is not going to happen too soon.  It all sounds very cool but
I think the paint is still quite wet on this stuff.  FCoE to FC break-
out looks like a reasonable intermediary step.

Do you have details on native FCoE storage offerings?

Thanks

David