[c-nsp] Nexus 5K FCoE to FC breakout

Justin C Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 16 11:06:48 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, no. Outside of multiple vendors promising it's coming soon,
it's been smoke and mirrors. I think the major players up front are going
to be EMC and NetApp, with NetApp in theory having devices on the market
right now I haven't seen yet.
( http://www.netapp.com/us/products/protocols/fcoe/ )

We're actually using in-house built ATA-over-Ethernet devices which have
similar advantages, but this isn't very 'enterprisey' - this was us trying
to find a way to deal with extreme I/O loads on giant Oracle databases
(which are now back to being CPU bound for the first time in years). They
also beat the heck out of 4x FC interfaces, preforming at 600-800MB/s, for
most of our applications under load. There are a bunch of people jumping
all over this, but I haven't seen results quite yet, I'm just expecting to
see them this year.

The existence of HBA's means its coming - Cisco's UCS design actually
counts on having FCoE 10GbE HBA's if what I'm reading about them is
correct.

Justin