[c-nsp] Nexus 5K FCoE to FC breakout

Brad Hedlund brhedlun at cisco.com
Fri Apr 17 17:16:43 EDT 2009

On 4/17/09 3:43 PM, "Tony Varriale" <tvarriale at comcast.net> wrote:

> I honestly do not know anyone putting these into 1U systems.

Primary reason for this is because current Gen1 C-N-A's simply do not fit in
1RU systems.  Where 2-4RU systems are purchased for the primary reason of
adapter real estate, the Gen2 C-N-A's offer a path to 1RU.

> The inital green pitch on the CNA is that the SFP+ draws less power than x2
> or XENPAK.

Not to mention less power in connecting to the server to one access layer
switch fabric, rather than two.

> The pitch to move from gen 1 to 2 to save another ~10W per card isn't being
> made yet.

Right, the pitch is largely: "same price, smaller, more capabilities, and oh
by the way, less power".

> Anyways, I believe the original discussion was about speed.

Of which there is no disadvantage in C-N-A's ... which lead us to this
tangent  :)

Brad Hedlund
bhedlund at cisco.com
http://www.internetworkexpert.org