[c-nsp] Nexus 5K FCoE to FC breakout

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Apr 16 00:39:04 EDT 2009

g'day Dave,

i'll reply, because i can <grin>,

David Hughes wrote:
> Seeing as this is all bleeding edge, I'd be very interested in any
> first hand experiences with breaking out FCoE to traditional FC via an
> N5K.  Is it working OK?
of course, i'll be biased here, but - yes - no issues with it working
just fine.
a big part of saying this is that NX-OS is SAN-OS which has been
field-proven over the years to be a sound reliable basis for SAN switching.

>   Are you running it as a switch or in NPV mode?
i know of multiple production networks running it both ways, in NPV and
as a traditional ISL (E_Port).
again, the 'code' to run both is the same as the code on Cisco MDS.
>   How's the interop with your FC fabric (and who's gear are you using
> for  FC switching).
Cisco supports standards-based interop.  i guess with NPV the intent is
that its a F_Port so should be no interop challenges there anyway.
> Whos CNA's are downstream of the N5K?
you can choose Q or E variety today.
>   Any thoughts, observations etc you can share about this brave new
> world would be greatly appreciated?
i'll let others comment on that part.

cheers,

lincoln.