[c-nsp] VTY Lines

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:26:12 EDT 2009

On 4/20/09, Clinton Work <clinton at scripty.com> wrote:

> Sound like a bug similiar to CSCee62455.  From experience with the bug,
> once all the VTY lines are locked up, the console port would not respond
> either.  The only way to clear the VTY lines was with SNMP, but it would
> cause crashes from time to time.  "service tcp-keepaliaves in/out"
> didn't help either.

Another one of my "could someone please explain why" things is how
come "service tcp-keepalives in/out" is considered a "best practice"
and having a much more restrictive ACL on vty 4 isn't?

We've got something like this on all routers:

access-list 104 permit ip host 10.1.1.10 any

line vty 0 3
 access-class 100 in
line vty 4
 access-class 104 in

Which means every single router fails when you put the config through RAT :(

Lee