[c-nsp] c7201 error SFP is missing [0]

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Apr 22 00:09:54 EDT 2009

Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 11:30:28 pm Belal Farouk wrote:
>
>> Source Severity Description [Index]
>> ------ -------- -------------------
>> SFP Slot 0/3 CRITICAL SFP is missing [0]
>
> We've seen this in our logs, both on the NPE-G2 and 7201 -
> code is 12.2(33)SRC3 or earlier.
>
> It hasn't caused any real problems, so we haven't really
> followed up on it with TAC. Maybe we should :-).

I see the same thing on a 7201 that I have had trouble with.  I'm
running 12.4(24)T.  Gi0/3 has a SFP-GE-S in it.  The link I had trouble
with was Gi0/0 though.  0/0, 0/1 and 0/3 all show the error.  0 and 1
are actually RJ45 so I suppose this could be expected, though I'd prefer
that the media-type command disable the SFP check on those interfaces.

The problem I had was on gi0/3 with MTUs going out via copper onto a
fiber media converter.  It worked fine for several months and then one
day it wigged out on me and started silently dropping jumbo frames.

I have another 7201 with single-strand optics in Gi0/0 and 0/1.  0/2 and
0/3 are SX, same as above.  0/3 shows the error.

Gi0/3 on the 7201 is the product of taking one of the unused PCI buses
that would be servicing PA slots in a VXR chassis and turning it into a
GigE interface.

Justin