[c-nsp] Question about Multiple Spanning Tee (MST)

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Thu Apr 23 22:58:30 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Our switch network needs to be migrated from PVST+ to MST in order for
our Cisco switches to be able to speak RSTP to some non-cisco switches.
Given that we have a few hundred vlans configured, is there some best
practice to determine how many instances we need or can we basically do
whatever we want?

For example:

Option 1/ If we have 500 vlans, do we split them into two instances
(instance 1 vlan 1-250 and instance 2 vlan 251-500).

Options2/ Or would you split the vlans up based on their business
requirements.
Eg: vlan 1,10,100 Marketing-related vlans, vlan 2,20,200 Sales-related
vlans - therefore create instance 1 vlan 1,10,100 and instance 2 vlan
2,20,200???

Secondly, what if you went with option 2, and added a new vlan into
Marketing (eg: vlan 1000). Would you have to manually update the
spanning-tree mst config on all MST switches to include the new vlan in
the instance???

Thanks.

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any